PE and Sports Grant
In 2013, the Government introduced the PE and Sports Funding Grant into schools. This should equate to approximately £9000 for an average sized Primary School.
Schools can choose how they use the funding, for example to:
- hire specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work with primary teachers during PE lessons
- support and involve the least active children by running after-school sports clubs and holiday clubs, e.g. the Change4Life clubs
- provide resources and training courses in PE and sport for teachers
- run sport competitions or increase pupils’ participation in the School Games
- run sports activities with other schools
The funding for PE & Sports Funding Grant during 2017-18 is £16,000, plus £10 per child. We are using our PE & Sports Grant to fund the salary of PE Coach and to extend this role to include responsibility as the whole school Social Mentor. This will mean we are able to provide both additional PE opportunities in school, extend after-school club provision, maintain a PE specialist to support class teachers in their provision and delivery of PE lessons and, in addition, undertake individual and group social mentoring across the school.
Our Sports Coaches lead daily after school Sports based clubs that include a variety of activities including, but not limited to:
Football - we are currently setting up football competitions with other schools in the local area.
- Children in KS1 take part in weekly Yoga Bugs lessons and Year 6 are taking part in Yoga and relaxation sessions to help them to be SATs ready.
- All children also undertake the Daily Mile challenge and are fully involved in our annual Sports Days. A number of our families have been signposted to Change4Life clubs, to encourage and support healthy eating and whole family exercise routines.
- We also work with local healthcare providers to deliver after school Family Fitness Clubs. Our next club is due to run after February half term.
- From Summer term this year, lower KS2 children will be attending weekly swimming lessons. Year 6 will undertake their 25m swimming check during the spring term 2019 and any child in the year unable to confidently swim 25m will join the weekly swimming session.
Summer Term 2019
We will be beginning a holiday sports club for children both from Radleys and the surrounding area after Easter.